Grady Hendrix is an award-winning novelist and screenwriter living in New York City. He is the author of Horrorstör, My Best Friend’s Exorcism, We Sold our Souls, and the New York Times bestselling The Southern Book Club’s Guide to Slaying Vampires, which is being adapted into a series by AmazonStudios. Grady also authored the Bram Stoker Award-winning nonfiction book, Paperbacks from Hell, a history of the horror paperback boom of the ’70s and 80s.
“Never be trapped indoors again when you can go around the world with movies!” - Grady Hendrix
Take a trip into Grady’s picks and let cinema fill your wonderlust!
- Try anything by Takashi Miike. If you’re new to Miike, make it a date night with AUDITION or HAPPINESS OF KATAKURIS, but more experienced Miike maniacs should try out his J-horror riff, ONE MISSED CALL.
- BEDEVILED might just be the next movie about toxic friendships ever made. Imagine the evil twin of STEEL MAGNOLIAS with more misogyny and decapitations and you’re in the ballpark.
- Nothing says “Welcome to Hong Kong!” better than people chewing up big gobs of living centipedes and staging black magic battles in CENTIPEDE HORROR.
- NOT QUIT HOLLYWOOD offers a magical mystery tour of Australian exploitations movies that’s almost even more fun than the movies themselves. And when you’re done with NQH check out THRIST or PATRICK!
- RAW MEAT is the saddest and most poignant movie about cannibalistic, humanoid, underground dwellers ever made. Guaranteed to put a lump in your throat.
- See Montreal and die in RABID, a movie that says Canadians are nice only as long as no one has attacked them with their armpit penis and turned them into slobbering cannibals.
- Some people mistake PHENOMENA for a horror movie but it’s actually a gorgeous coming of age story starring Jennifer Connelly that’s just as much of a fairy tale as Labyrinth that she made the following year.
- PUSHER 1 is a pretty straightforward drug dealer drama but PUSHER 2 is one of the most harrowing and gorgeous movies about recovery ever made, and PUSHER 3 is just plain old harrowing.